As we post topics, feel free to post comments and ask questions. One of the members of the Alcona County Republicans will reply as soon as possible. Thank you for your interest.
|Posted by [email protected] on July 7, 2015 at 10:05 AM||comments (0)|
Because of the current tax code, I believe it is a legal obligation to recognize same sex marriage. If traditional married couples get a tax break, then married LGBT couples should get the same tax breaks. It is unfair and unjust to deny them the same advantages because of their gender. If two people love each other and are willing to make a commitment of the highest order, they should have the same privileges regardless of their gender.
Don’t infringe upon my liberties and I won’t infringe upon yours. Everyone should have the same liberties regardless of their gender, age, ethnicity, sexual preference, religious preference, etc. This is the USA and that is what our Constitution allows for. If we, as a governing body give tax breaks and other rewards to married couples of one man and one woman, we are infringing on the liberties of other couples wishing to share in the joy of holy matrimony. If you take the plunge (a sacred oath that should not end in divorce at the mere whim of simple conflict; especially when children are involved), you deserve to be treated like any married couple.
That being said, Rand Paul has proposed a fair and flat tax for everyone thus getting rid of traditionally married couple’s tax privileges. By doing so, this preserves the definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman (AS IT SHOULD BE). If you want me to recognize your same sex marriage, when there is no benefit from a legal or governmental stand point, I will not do so.
What you do in your own home is your business. I don’t want to know. No one should pry into the lives of someone else and pass judgment. That is not our place on this Earth. And I feel that would infringe upon one’s right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
The SCOTUS ruling is unconstitutional and they should be ashamed of themselves. Not because it allows for same sex marriage, but because it defies the Constitution of this great country. If not specifically defined in the Constitution, the creation of laws falls to the individual states. If a state has decided not to recognize gay marriage and you want to get married, MOVE. If a state has decided to recognize gay marriage, and you are offended by it enough to openly protest and attempt to block another couples right to marry in that specific state, you need to MOVE. Go to a state that delivers what you want. That is your individual liberty, your right.
Please leave any comments you wish, but keep it clean, be respectful of opinions, and no mud slinging. Thanks.
|Posted by [email protected] on July 1, 2015 at 3:10 PM||comments (0)|
May 28, 2015 - Meeting Minutes
Harrisville Township Hall, 114 S. Poor Farm Rd., Harrisville, MI 48740
Meeting Called to Order at 7:15 pm by Vice Chair, Pastor Wayne Whitten
Pledge of Allegiance
Invocation by Pastor Wayne Whitten
In Attendance: Carrie Mullins, Frank Demercurio, Wayne Whitten, David Dionne, Margaret Dionne, Marilyn Thom, Tom Weichel, Rick Defre (?)
Order of Business:
1) Since David Dionne was not at the last meeting to give his acceptance speech, he did so at this time. His dad was a laborer with Chrysler, a union member and a Democrat. His mom was Republican. His grandfather, David Wilson Park, ran for office. He didn’t win, but Dave got a close look at the process. David was in the service. He was very independent from an early age and believes in the sanctity of life. Stupak said he was pro-life, and that was the last Democrat Dave will ever vote for. He had been a precinct delegate from 1980 to 200, and after the Obama nightmare, he became a precinct delegate again.
2) Meeting minutes from 4-23-15 read into the record by Carrie Mullins, and accepted.
3) Treasurers report read into the record, and accepted.
Beginning Balance 931.98
Membership dues 4-23-2015 90.00
Proceeds from Lincoln-Reagan dinner 190.00
Cash Asset in Savings Account 5.00
Total Assets as of May 28, 2015 $1,221.98
4) Chairman’s report included the *Call to Action for an Event Planner. David Glass did accept the position of Membership Chair. Meetings will be changed to the 4th Monday of the month.
5) Website update from Carrie Mullins: When she makes an update, the visitor count spikes. She indicates that she needs to spend more time on the sight. She added a “Donate” button to the bottom of the page. Being linked with FaceBook, YouTube, Google + and Twitter, boosts more traffic to all sights. Overall, it’s still a work in progress.
6) Current list of dues paying members:
Lawrence Brozowski Single $ 25.00 03/26/15
David T. DuBuque Single 25.00 “
Mr. & Mrs. Frank M. Dimercurio Family 35.00 “
David A. Dionne Single 25.00 “
Carrie Mullins Single 25.00 04/14/15
Wayne & Ann Whitten Family 35.00 04/23/15
E. Marilyn Thom Single 25.00 “
Billy & Shirley Sanders Family 35.00 “
7) Frank Dimercurio gave an update on the Chosen Ranch. Frank told us about a kid who had a hard time passing a class. He was upset one day and was taken to the principal’s office. The reason he was upset was because he had gotten a B in one of his classes. All of his other grades were an A. They are so very proud of this child. Encouraging youth and lifting them up is a core value of the Chosen Ranch. It’s a role model for other communities. Previous opposition to the Chosen Ranch is starting to wane.
They will continue to have Fellowships monthly to keep everyone involved and informed. These events are family friendly with a movie at the end. It helps to keep the kids and teens entertained.
So far, 1,200 volunteer hours have been put into the ranch. Cleaning windows and floors, picking weeds, and making brick decorations are just a few things that anyone can help do. The work days at the ranch are full of hard working people, good food, friendship and the sound of laughter. They plan to be finished in the fall, but will take on kids in need.
Certificates of Appreciation for Bill Sanders and Erika Arseneau were displayed. They will be mailed / delivered at a later date.
9) Alcona County Republican Committee bylaws were updated. Only minor changes were made. To reflect our taxpayer ID number, we omitted “executive” from the title. Changed references to Alcona County Republican Party to Alcona County Republicans (ACR) to match our internal documents and we added a definition for that title. We added that all dues paying members get 1 vote (the previous bylaws excluded ex-officio members from voting). The designation of officers required the chair and vice chair be the opposite gender, and that the youth chair be between the ages of 18 to 25. We removed these clauses. All checks shall require one signature, not two, from the treasurer or chairperson. Committees and other positions will only be filled if there are enough members to form a committee or someone to take a position. Copies of these bylaws will be made available upon request. They are posted on the website (www.acrepublicans.com).
10) A motion was made by Carrie Mullins to allot $100 to business cards for the officers and brochures. The motion was seconded by Wayne Whitten, and the ayes had it. A budget of $100 was approved. Carrie Mullins will be using VistaPrint. Inquiries were made at the Alcona County Review for pricing, and their costs were prohibitive.
11) The next event that ACR would like to participate in is the 4th of July. No other suggestions for sooner events were put forth. A handout of the ACR calendar of events was offered.
Topics of Discussion (please note the *Calls to Action):
1) Plans to repair roads after Prop 1 did not pass. There is current legislation in the process of approval. Not much is known at this time.
2) No Fault Insurance Changes. There is an Uninsured Motorist Fund that government officials want to have access to. David Dionne and his wife Margaret were in a major accident. All of their injuries (a severely broken arm needing a plate for David) were covered by AAA. There was a limit to how much money was to be paid to the hospital attached to No Fault insurance. This change would affect us all. *Call to Action: We should contact our elected officials with our concerns.
3) 2016 Declared, Possible, and Not Running Presidential Candidates. A handout was given. Democrats (In order of declaration): Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Martin O’Malley, and Lincoln Chafee. Republicans (in order of declaration): Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckamee, Rick Santorum, George Pataki, Lindsay Graham, and Rick Perry.
Carrie Mullins – Importance of contacting your elected and appointed officials / Keeping up with current legislation. Once you’ve voted; your work isn’t done. You need to hold elected officials accountable, whether you voted for them or not. A handout was given with websites to visit and a few pointers.
*Call to Action: Contact your representatives. Keep informed and let them know how you feel, what you need and what action you would like them to take.
Meeting Adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Next Meeting: Monday, June 22, 2015 at 7 pm at the Harrisville Township Hall
|Posted by [email protected] on June 17, 2015 at 8:10 AM||comments (0)|
Alcona County Republicans
7:00 pm. Harrisville Township Hall, 114 S. Poor Farm Rd., Harrisville, MI 48740 - Just south of M-72
Sign-in / Attendance please arrive 15 minutes early
Call to Order 7:00 PM
Pledge of Allegiance Lawrence Brozowski
Invocation Pastor, Whitten or Ruemenapp
*3 min. - Prior Meeting Minutes Carrie Mullins to read into the record, (Summarize)
3 min. - Treasurers Report by David Dionne (Summarize # of paid members) - To be read into the record by proxy (Carrie Mullins)
15 min. - Chairman’s Report Lawrence Brozowski, Acknowledge new meeting participants - Fear of Affiliation / Showing Support / Involvement
3 min. - Vice Chair Report Wayne Whitten - Community outreach, Reformer’s Unanimous
15 min. – Web Activity Update Carrie Mullins – www.acrepublicans.com, Facebook, YouTube - Update on: business cards, brochures / flyers
3 min. - Membership Report David Glass – Getting names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses for members Republicans in Alcona County. - (Plan to contact all county Republican Office holders)
3 min. Sandra Call --1st District Membership Committee Chair - Providing help for ACR
3 min. - Youth Chair Report Frank Dimercurio – Summer Chosen Ranch Boys and Girls Program - Boys: Wednesday nights 6-8, Girls: Thursday nights 6-8
15 min. - New Business
1. Vote by dues paying members on 4th of July Glennie parade *Call to Action: Positions still open: Event Planner
2. Vote on paying dues / amount to State / District Republican Party
20 min. - Peter Pettalia – New road legislation that recently passed.
10 min. – Open Discussion
Adjournment Time___8:30 to 9:00 pm _____
Next Meeting Monday, July 27, 2015 at 7 pm at Harrisville Township Hall
*Note: Speaking times are approximate. We are hoping to keep to our meeting time and not run over.
|Posted by [email protected] on May 9, 2015 at 9:40 PM||comments (0)|
May 28, 2015, the Alcona County Republicans will be meeting at 7:00 pm. at the Harrisville Township Hall, 114 S. Poor Farm Rd., Harrisville, MI 48740.
|Posted by [email protected] on March 26, 2015 at 4:05 PM||comments (0)|
We will be meeting at Harrisville Township Hall at 7pm tonight.
Peter Pettalia will be speaking. We will be discussing the May 5th Vote on Proposal 1 to Increase Michigan's Sales and Use Tax. Vote NO on Prop 1. The Bolger Plan fixes our roads without increasing our taxes.
Frank Demercurio will be talking about the Chosen Ranch. A place for troubled kids to get a break, learn a trade, get education and be loved and cared for.
|Posted by [email protected] on October 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM||comments (0)|
Our next meeting will take place at 7pm on October 27th, 2014. We will meet at the Harrisville Township Hall, 114 S. Poor Farm Rd., Harrisville, MI 48740. Hope to see you there.
|Posted by [email protected] on September 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM||comments (0)|
Thursday, October 2 will be a very exciting day for us here in Michigan! Governor Mitt Romney will join Terri Lynn Land and the rest of our Comeback Team for the ComMITT to the Comeback Rally at Laurel Manor in Livonia.
Visit their website for more information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/committ-to-the-comeback-rally-tickets-13178245487
It is promised to be a very exciting event. This is a FREE event.
|Posted by [email protected] on September 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM||comments (0)|
According to Conservative Intelligence Briefing / The Briefing, Vol. II, Issue 33, Terry Lynn Land is in trouble. We need to get her elected to the Senate.
Michigan: Here’s another race that wasn’t expected to get legs at all. Detroit-area Rep. Gary Peters, D, faces former Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land, R, for the seat being vacated by the retiring Sen. Carl Levin, D. Land has outraised Peters, but she faces a tough fight in a bluish-purple state, and she’s taken a lot of heat lately for avoiding the media and attempting to limit the number of debates against her opponent.
Polls: Peters enjoys significant leads in three of the last four non-partisan polls.
Outside groups: As in many other states, Democrats dominate the outside spending. Their groups have spent $9.6 million attacking Land, more than twice the amount spent by outside groups to attack Peters.
Outlook: At the moment, Peters remains the favorite. Leaning Democratic retention.
Read more at http://www.conservativeintel.com/the-briefing-vol-ii-issue-33/ - the briefing also shows other states that have contested Senatorial races.
|Posted by [email protected] on September 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM||comments (0)|
The Alcona County Republicans will be meeting at 7:00 pm on September 22nd, 2014 at:
Harrisville Township Hall
114 S. Poor Farm Rd.
Harrisville, MI 48740
Any party interested in republican values is welcome to attend.
|Posted by [email protected] on September 2, 2014 at 1:55 PM||comments (0)|
At all of our meetings, we say the Pledge of Allegiance. In case you don't remember, it goes like this:
I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America.
and to the Republic for which it Stands,
One Nation, under God, Indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.